An 89-year-old man with an intermittent 2:1 second-degree atrioventricular block received a permanent pacemaker (Medtronic Azure XT DR; Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA). Reactive antitachycardia pacing (ATP) was engaged in all transmissions 3 weeks later. Intracardiac recordings revealed a far-field R wave (FFRW) oversensing, occurring between atrial waves and premature atrial contractions. This event triggered the delivery of reactive ATP, which induced atrial fibrillation. A 79-year-old man underwent permanent pacemaker implantation for an intermittent complete atrioventricular block. One month after implantation, reactive ATP was initiated. The atrial electrogram of intracardiac recordings revealed one being a spontaneous P wave and the other an oversensed R wave. The criterion for an atrial tachycardia was fulfilled, and the device initiated reactive ATP. As a result, atrial fibrillation was induced by inappropriate reactive ATP. It was difficult to completely avoid inappropriate reactive ATP. Finally, we discontinued reactive ATP. The two cases presented in this study demonstrate the possibility of inappropriate reactive ATP due to FFRW oversensing, with the inappropriate reactive ATP inducing atrial fibrillation. All patients treated with reactive ATP should be carefully assessed for the presence of FFRW oversensing during pacemaker implantation and during the follow-up period.
We present two cases of inappropriate reactive ATP caused by far-field R-wave oversensing. Inappropriate reactive ATP has not been previously reported. Therefore, we suggest that all patients provided with a DDD pacemaker should be carefully assessed for the presence of FFRW oversensing during pacemaker implantation and during the follow-up period. Remote monitoring enables very early detection of inappropriate reactive ATP delivery for rapid implementation of preventive measures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology Cases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2013 ESC guidelines on cardiac pacing and cardiac resynchronization therapy: the task force on cardiac pacing and resynchronization therapy of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2281-2329
- ASSERT Investigators and Committees. Asymptomatic atrial fibrillation and stroke evaluation in pacemaker patients and the atrial fibrillation reduction atrial pacing trial (ASSERT).Am Heart J. 2006; 152: 442-447
- Preventricular far-field sensing in the atrial channel of dual chamber pacemakers-an occasional cause of inappropriate mode switch.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2004; 10: 231-235
- 2020 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS): The Task Force for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA) of the ESC.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 373-498
- Atrial antitachycardia pacing and managed ventricular pacing in bradycardia patients with paroxysmal or persistent atrial tachyarrhythmias: the MINERVA randomized multicentre international trial.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2352-2362
- Incidence and characteristics of far-field R- wave sensing in low right atrial septum pacing.Circ J. 2012; 76: 598-606
- Effect of different location of atrial lead position on nearfield and farfield electrograms in dual chamber pacemaker-defibrillators.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2001; 5: 59-66
- Far-field R wave oversensing in dual chamber pacemakers designed for atrial arrhythmia management: effect of pacing site and lead tip to ring distance.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2004; 27: 1221-1230
- Electrical proarrhythmia: induction of inappropriate atrial therapies due to far-field R wave oversensing in a new dual chamber defibrillator.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 1998; 9: 859-863
- A randomized study of remote follow-up of implantable cardioverter defibrillators: safety and efficacy report of the ECOST trial.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 605-614
Published online: March 06, 2023
Accepted: February 22, 2023
Received in revised form: February 18, 2023
Received: December 20, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.