We report a case of surgically repaired symptomatic mitral valve regurgitation (MR) in a 61-year-old woman with anomalous unilateral single pulmonary vein. A two-staged surgery was scheduled; first a catheter embolization of anomalous vessel to avoid recirculation of the blood into the left atrium during cardiopulmonary bypass, and second a mitral valve repair via right lateral thoracotomy.
Scimitar sign is a horn-like shape on plain chest radiograph. One of the possible diagnoses is partial anomalous pulmonary venous return (APVR), which often requires surgical interventions due to comorbidities of congenital heart disease and recurrent pneumonia [1–3]. Another is anomalous unilateral single pulmonary vein (AUSPV), which is generally asymptomatic, and therefore, requires no medical interventions. This case addresses the advantage of multidetector computed tomography (CT) and the safety of two-staged strategy.
Abbreviations:MR (Mitral valve Regurgitation), APVR (Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return), AUSPV (Anomalous Unilateral Single Pulmonary Vein), CT (Computed Tomography), LA (Left Atrium), LV (Left Ventricle), PV (Pulmonary Vein), IVC (Inferior Vena Cava), MICS (Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology Cases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A case of pseudo-scimitar syndrome.Jpn J Chest Dis. 2012; 71: 500-505
- Scimitar syndrome: MDCT imaging revisited.Egypt J Radiol Nucl Med. 2011; 42: 381-387
- The various forms of pulmonary varices.Am J Roentgenol. 1975; 125: 881-889
- Chordal replacement for both minimally invasive and conventional mitral valve surgery using premeasured Gore-tex loops.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 70: 2166-2168
- Isolated and complex scimitar vein anomalies and their differentiation from the meandering right pulmonary vein.Yonsei Med J. 2007; 48: 973-980
- Mitral valve operation in dextrocardia.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 101e161
- Mitral valve repair after a right pneumonectomy: a minimally invasive approach.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015; 21: 551-553
Published online: March 01, 2023
Accepted: January 27, 2023
Received in revised form: January 4, 2023
Received: November 5, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.