A 47-year-old man with dilated-phase hypertrophic cardiomyopathy was admitted to the hospital with worsening heart failure. As the enlarged atrium caused a constrictive pericarditis-like hemodynamic condition, atrial wall resection and tricuspid valvuloplasty were performed. Postoperatively, pulmonary artery pressure rose due to increased preload; however, the rise in pulmonary artery wedge pressure was restrained, and the cardiac output significantly improved. When the pericardium is extremely stretched due to atrial enlargement, it can lead to an elevation of intrapericardial pressure, and both atrial volume reduction and tricuspid valve plasty could lead to increased compliance and contribute to hemodynamic improvement.
Atrial wall resection for massive atrial enlargement and tricuspid annuloplasty in patients with diastolic-phase hypertrophic cardiomyopathy effectively relieves unstable hemodynamics.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology Cases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence, clinical profile, and significance of left ventricular remodeling in the end-stage phase of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Circulation. 2006; 114: 216-225
- Dysphagia caused by giant left atrium.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 1603
- Idiopathic giant right atrial aneurysm.Ann Pediatr Cardiol. 2013; 6: 68-70
- Management of idiopathic giant dilatation of the right atrium with subsequent atrial tachycardia.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013; 288: 705-707
- Giant right atrium--a rare case report.Ann Card Anaesth. 2005; 8: 58-60
- Reduction plasty for giant left atrium causing dysphagia: a case report.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; 69: 546-549
- Constrictive pericarditis in the modern era: novel criteria for diagnosis in the cardiac catheterization laboratory.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 315-319
- Sudden death in idiopathic (congenital) right atrial enlargement. Postmortem findings and review of cases.Circulation. 1969; 40: 227-235
- Congenital malformations of the right atrium and the coronary sinus: an analysis based on 103 cases reported in the literature and two additional cases.Chest. 2000; 117: 1740-1748
- Idiopathic dilatation of the right atrium: clinical and diagnostic pitfalls - a series of 3 cases.Echocardiography. 2013; 30: 984-988
Published online: February 09, 2023
Accepted: January 4, 2023
Received in revised form: December 15, 2022
Received: August 4, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.