Although caseous calcification of the mitral annulus is usually diagnosed incidentally, it can cause embolic complications. The current report describes the case of caseous calcification revealed by recurrent episodes of stroke in a 64-year-old female patient. After her last ischemic episode, cerebral magnetic resonance imaging confirmed the presence of a thrombus in the right middle cerebral artery. Transthoracic echocardiogram revealed calcification of the mitral annulus and an echo-dense mass with mobile borders fixed posteriorly. Transesophageal echocardiogram allowed better evaluation of the lesion. A medical approach was preferred, with no recurrence thereafter.
Caseous calcification of the mitral annulus is a rare form of mitral annular calcification which is associated with high risk of strokes.
Medical management with optimal anticoagulation can be effective over long-term follow up.
Abbreviations:MAC (Mitral annulus calcification), CCMA (Caseous calcification of the mitral annulus), TOE (Transesophageal echocardiographic evaluation), CT (Computed tomography), MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging), TTE (Transthoracic echocardiogram), AV (Atrioventricular)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology Cases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Caseous calcification of the mitral annulus: a neglected, unrecognized diagnosis.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2001; 14: 825-831
- Calcific atrial mass in end-stage renal failure.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1997; 12: 807-810
- Pathological and clinical study of calcification of the mitral valve ring.J Clin Pathol. 1970; 23: 354-361
- Severe mitral regurgitation and heart failure due to caseous calcification of the mitral annulus.Cardiology. 2011; 118: 79-82
- The incidence and clinical course of caseous calcification of the mitral annulus: a prospective echocardiographic study.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008; 21: 828-833
- Spontaneous fistulization of a caseous calcification of the mitral annulus: an exceptional cause of stroke.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011; 39: e184-e185
- Caseous calcification of the mitral annulus imaged with 64-slice multidetector CT and magnetic resonance imaging.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2006; 22: 553-559
- Caseous calcification of the mitral annulus: unusual case of spontaneous resolution.Echocardiography. 2005; 22: 510-513
- A case of caseous calcification of the mitral annulus: a potential source of embolic stroke.J Cardiol Cases. 2010; 2: e141-e143
- Intra-atrial implantation of a mitral valve prosthesis in a heavily calcified mitral valve annulus.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009; 36: 776-778
Published online: January 07, 2023
Accepted: December 25, 2022
Received in revised form: December 4, 2022
Received: September 19, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.