An 82-year-old woman with parkinsonism and Lewy body dementia was re-admitted to our hospital due to convulsions and the recurrence of cerebral infarction. Parasternal transthoracic echocardiography showed normal left ventricular wall thickness and wall motion. To treat marked bradycardia and hypotension, she underwent temporary pacing. However, she lost her consciousness, when her blood pressure could not be measured. Simultaneous electrocardiogram and blood pressure monitoring showed that systolic blood pressure decreased by almost 30 mmHg from sinus rhythm to junctional rhythm. In the present case of acute cerebral infarction, severe hypotension occurred during junctional rhythm possibly contributed by parkinsonism and Lewy body dementia.
As patients with junctional rhythm usually have no or mild symptoms, there are no specific guidelines for its evaluation and treatment. However, severe symptoms such as hypotension, cerebral infarction, loss of consciousness, or breathlessness may occur in some cases. Holter electrocardiogram with 24-hour noninvasive blood pressure monitoring may be helpful in such severe cases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology Cases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Junctional rhythms and junctional tachycardia.Cardiac electrophysiology 4th ed. 2004; : 57
- Is it bradycardia or something else causing symptoms?.HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2018; 4: 601-603
- Heart rate monitoring on the stroke unit. What does heart beat tell about prognosis? An observational study.BMC Neurol. 2011; 11: 47
- Asymptomatic bradycardia due to rivastigmine in an elderly adult with lewy body dementia.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2015; 63: 2648-2650
- Junctional rhythm with severe hypotension following infiltration of lidocaine containing epinephrine during dental surgery.J. Dent. Anesth Pain. Med. 2020; 20: 89-93
- The atrial kick: atrioventricular dyssynchrony causing paroxysms of hypotension in setting of acute left ventricular dysfunction.J. Am. Col.l Cardiol. 2018; 71: A2357
- Diagnosis and management of autonomic dysfunction in dementia syndromes.Curr. Treat. Options. Neurol. 2019; 21: 38
Published online: October 28, 2022
Accepted: October 12, 2022
Received in revised form: October 6, 2022
Received: September 1, 2022
© 2022 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.